meansters ball

Friday, February 18, 2005

Thoughts from a mean little red machine

Hi out there in never never land. I have a lot of thoughtful moments when I'm driving in my car. I've really been giving this web journal thing a lot of thought. I'm still a little nervous about putting stuff out there. I mean is there some protocol? Anyway I thought the best thing to do would be just to share some good stuff.
The other day I worked with some students who had no English. They are the best. I'm so impressed with them. One of the greatest challenges in my academic career has been to learn another language. Even with the best instructors I am English bound. So maybe you can imagine my delight in these young people who grasp onto English with both hands and pull themselves into it with such ease. Marvelous.
I like the idea of multiple intelligences. I can recognize in my own system of learning my strengths and weaknesses. As a result, I can strongly recommend applying them in the classroom. (For Bernie: I am strong in language, music, kinetic and naturalist. I am weak in logic, so so in interpersonal{a little shy}, but better in intrapersonal {just so you know}.
Sooo, as I stated with, I was driving along in my environmentally polite vehicle when I gathered a few ideas for this thing. First a live experience:
I went to Henry's and parked near a car that must belong to an employee, because it's always there. On this car is a vinyl detail piece of the profile of Malificent ( The wicked woman of Snow White). I covet that artwork every time I see it. [Covet=to desire that which is rightly another's] As Kurt Vonnegut Jr. Says, "So it goes". It just is not to be (mine that is).
In my long journey through Englishhood I have pondered the use of language employed in the phenomenon of Bumper Stickers. Some one letting you know who or what they are via a small plastic strip on their vehicle, hmmmm. I did apply one once, being such an English maven I could not resist the J.R.R Tolkien quote, "not all who wander are lost." That's me, That's me. But being so high minded I have looked down on more self defining sayings that let me know you are a "Gun Toter" (I'm a pacifist) or "spoiled" which I take to mean reliant on external sources of joy in one's life, ( a precarious way to live). So I tend to make instant judgments on these folks right or wrong. Is that mean? [Mean=to be defined as.]
As I was driving along I thought it would be nice to share.
Sharing #1 I loved two particular books I have read in the last few months. The first is Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. Such a beautiful book. It uses men as a footnote to the strangely and beautifully woven examination of several extremely intelligent women. And surprisingly it is written by a man. I don't think any male author has captured the beauty and essence of female intelligence as well as this. I hope it's not a fluke, it would be nice to have achieved such realization by a man. (I do not claim to be a feminist, but I've been accused of it).
The other book is Life of Pi. It is deliciously dark, mmmmm, dark. That is all I am going to say about that book, but it is absolutely a must read.
One more thing to share. I like to listen to music in my little car. Here is news form the six-disc. Now playing: "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" by Wilco. ( maybe some military expert can tell me what that title means) Next, Led Zeppelin III, now you younger people might snicker about that, but you should give a listen, this CD is timeless in its appeal. "7 Worlds Collide" is a Neil Finn (Crowded House) collaboration. It's nice, a little heavy on Eddie Vedder, but I like it. U2 "Joshua Tree (a classic) hmmmm I can't seem to recall the other two off hand. I'll get back to you on that. Gotta go to work. I do love my job, but it would be a nice day to stay home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home