meansters ball

Monday, February 21, 2005

How could I forget?

Well I left off last time and I did not recall the last two CD's in the six disc. Comes of having a mean brain I guess. ( Mean=low in quality or grade) At any rate the last two are New Order's Republic, ( kind of 80's dance club stuff) and the soundtrack from the movie Garden State. I don't know how I could forget that. I love that CD (and the movie). Zach Braff (Scrubs) made a little movie about the effect something as small as a broken plastic latch can have on your whole life. The music in the film is exquisite. The Frou Frous are just astounding. Nick Drake, now here is a musician who was pathologically shy and never went on tour. He created his music in the late sixties and early seventies. He died at age 24, I believe in 1974 ( not positive about dates). The cause of his death is not published. You can hear his influence in British music all across the board, from Led Zeppelin to Peter Gabriel. I heard one of his songs on a Volkswagen commercial and researched until I found his name. The song was Pink Moon. This singer/songwriter is one of the most phenomenal I have ever heard. Zach Braff used one of his songs in the film and it is on the soundtrack. I feel a musical kindred spirit in Braff. I don't know if he influences the music on the sitcom Scrubs, but I was just floored one day when they played a song by Nil Lara from his self titled CD. I thought I was the only person on the earth that knew about that CD. The song played on the show was "Fighting for my Love". My personal favorite is "Bleeding" This CD has a lot of Latin numbers on it, but the music transcends language. Well I wandered a bit, but by now maybe you can tell I live for books and music. I cannot produce either, but I can consume both ravenously. Ta Ta from the desktop of the mean one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home