meansters ball

Monday, February 21, 2005

How Literature applies in real life

I talk a lot about driving in my car. Like Jim Dixon, the protagonist in the book Lucky Jim, I tend to "pull faces" when I don't like the way someone drives. You see old Jim couldn't come right out with his rebellious thoughts, so if some like the professor displeased him Jim would react by making faces behind that character's back. If you happen to be in front of me driving like a pure defined fool (fool=one who is deficient in judgment, sense, or understanding) You can be assured I will not curse you or scream wildly at my windshield. I will, however, take a page from Jim Dixon, and from behind you "pull" faces in direct proportion to the stupidity of your driving maneuvers.

P.S. I find my definitions inThe American Heritage Dictionary. Strangely enough this dictionary has been banned within the boundaries of the US at some time. I do not understand it, but there it is.

Lucky Jim is written by Kingsly Amis, and it is a hilarious read.

Side note: And for you aspiring teachers, I found this book to be an excellent read, True Notebooks by Mark Salzman.

For Bernie: There is an article on blogging in the San Diego Union Tribune, Sunday Feb. 20, page A4. Maybe you have already seen it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home