meansters ball

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Web Pages

Bernie wants to know how I would use web pages for my classroom. If I should ever figure out how to create one, I would use it to make an attractive page that would hopefully attract my students to read. I would make book critiques and recommendations. I would list all banned books, I think young people are enticed by what they are not supposed to look at. I hope by viewing my pages the students would learn the differences between fiction and non-fiction works, and that non-fiction can be fun. I hope they learn to love science fiction and fantasy, children's lit and cross-cultural works. I think Bernie likes to read. I think he would like Andrahati Roy, She is an East Indian writer and activist, she rails against nuclear proliferation. She and I are pacifist. Her book The God of Small Things was her first fiction work. It won the Booker Prize in GB. I like to listen to her talk. I plan (if I ever have free time again), to read her non-fiction stuff, if I can find it here. A wonderful piece of non-fiction, if you haven't read it, is Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods. I laughed out loud, and learned a lot. It's one of the few books my husband read through to the end ( he hates to read the end of books, he likes to make up his own ending). He also found himself laughing out loud.
News from the six-disc. I'm listening to Sinead Lohen's No Mermaid. She is an Irish songstress, her music is very liquid, watery if you will. I have a water spirit, so I really love this CD. What is it with Irish people and water? Another favorite Irish group The Waterboys. Now if you like Irish stuff and punk rock you should give a listen to Flogging Molly. I'm not as fascinated with the Drop Kick Murphys, but my son Zachariah loves them. I enjoy Clannad and some of the Chieftains stuff. But my new all time favorite Irish stuff can be found in the world section of the music store, and that is the Afrocelt Sound System, or the Afrocelts as they have taken to call themselves. I have all of their CDs. Love, love, love their unique sound of African tribal music and traditional Irish mixed with some rock. Wow. They even sing in the Celtic language. I don't understand a word, but I don't need to. They have mostly English lyrics especially on their second CD which showcases collaborations with Peter Gabriel, Eric Clapton (I think) and Robert Plant. The first CD has some tunes with Sinead O'Conner (love that girl). Anyway I'm really going off here, have a nice day world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home