meansters ball

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Why smokers feel persecuted

So It's been a year since I've played with this thing. I am still suffering from the budget crunch and have no permanent teaching position. So I am taking a step and getting my Masters in Education.
Now the mean one will rant and we will wonder, in the end, who really is mean (not in the nice way).
So besides the fact that I live in San Diego where two firestorms have ravaged homes, and killed human and animal, I still see cigarettes hanging out windows, and even being tossed from cars. Message to stupid people: If your car is too good to have smoke in it, don't smoke in it. It is highly illegal to even have a cigarette outside of your car, in your fingers, let alone tossed out. I write down the license plate # of every offending smoker I catch doing this, just in case the police want to know who started the latest brush fire. I also have the very intimate ear of several policemen who are quite fussy on the issue. If you are guilty, I so hope you get that very expensive ticket before you destroy anyone's home or heaven forbid kill people.
Now on to the real ugliness. I have two granddaughters with Cystic Fibrosis. It is a fatal disease. But if my girls can live longer if they suffer fewer lung infections; they can live into their 40's or 50's. So I'm out at the pool and there are "no smoking" signs everywhere. It's a community pool. On the 4th of July I have my family over and we decide to go for a swim. All is well, everyone is having fun when a woman (a supposedly more mature woman) lights a cigarette. I inform her nicely that if she smokes in the pool area I have to take my girls home. She walks over to a pot bellied man with "Ruiz" tattoed across his belly, among other things, and she quietly tells him what I said and steps back, still smoking mind you. Ruiz stands directly over the pool and lights a cigarette. He blows the smoke out over the pool, over my family as well as other children. I walk up and face him and explain that those little girls have Cystic Fibrosis and that cigarette smoke is poison to them. He states that it is for him as well. I explain that he is an adult and has a choice, while these little girls will be fortunate to live long enough to make adult decisions. He is still unconcerned. I tell him he is very fortunate to have healthy children, and he claims he is thankful every day. He is still blowing smoke over my girls. I tell the girls to get out of the pool, and as they are he tells the woman too bad if they are sick, they should go home. So rather than put his cigarette out, he deprived two terminally ill children of an hour in the pool. Oh by the way Ruiz, if you are wondering why the cops are hanging around the house, and your cars, well those little girls have a policeman for an uncle. And he has friends.
Just to show folks, you can't be nice to some people, and you never know who you are really messing with.
I know most smokers aren't like this man Ruiz. But you should not wonder why people think you stink when you smoke. It's just plain stupid, and you look real ugly when you do it. How's that for mean.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home